December 7-8, 2022
CoNLL is a yearly conference organized by SIGNLL (ACL's Special Interest Group on Natural Language Learning), focusing on theoretically, cognitively and scientifically motivated approaches to computational linguistics.
This year, CoNLL will be held in a hybrid format: colocated with EMNLP 2022 but also entirely accessible online. The conference's schedule will be considerate to attendees who are at the EMNLP venue, and we plan to have an extra in-person poster session.
CoNLL 2022 Chairs and Organizers
The conference's co-chairs are:
- Antske Fokkens (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands)
- Vivek Srikumar (University of Utah, USA)
- Publicity Chair: Jack Hessel (Allen Institute for AI)
- Publication Chair: R. Thomas McCoy (John Hopkins University)
- SIGNLL President: Julia Hockenmaier (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA)
- SIGNLL Secretary: Afra Alishahi (Tilburg University, Netherlands)
April 27th 2022: The Call for Papers is published (see below).
Call For Papers
SIGNLL invites submissions to the 26th Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning (CoNLL 2022). The focus of CoNLL is on theoretically, cognitively and scientifically motivated approaches to computational linguistics, rather than on work driven by particular engineering applications. Such approaches include:
- Computational learning theory and other techniques for theoretical analysis of machine learning models for NLP
- Models of first, second and bilingual language acquisition by humans
- Models of language evolution and change
- Computational simulation and analysis of findings from psycholinguistic and neurolinguistic experiments
- Analysis and interpretation of NLP models, using methods inspired by cognitive science or linguistics or other methods
- Data resources, techniques and tools for scientifically-oriented research in computational linguistics
- Connections between computational models and formal languages or linguistic theories
- Linguistic typology, translation, and other multilingual work
- Theoretically, cognitively and scientifically motivated approaches to text generation
We welcome work targeting any aspect of language, including:
- Speech and phonology
- Syntax and morphology
- Lexical, compositional and discourse semantics
- Dialogue and interactive language use
- Multimodal and grounded language learning
We do not restrict the topic of submissions to fall into this list. However, the submissions’ relevance to the conference’s focus on theoretically, cognitively and scientifically motivated approaches will play an important role in the review process.
Submitted papers must be anonymous and use the EMNLP 2022 template. Submitted papers may consist of up to 8 pages of content plus unlimited space for references. Authors of accepted papers will have an additional page to address reviewers’ comments in the camera-ready version (9 pages of content in total, excluding references). Optional anonymized supplementary materials and a PDF appendix are allowed, according to the EMNLP 2022 guidelines. Please refer to the EMNLP 2022 Call for Papers for more details on the submission format. Submission is electronic, using the Softconf START conference management system. Note that, unlike EMNLP, we do not mandate that papers have a section discussion limitations of the work. However, we strongly encourage authors have such a section in the appendix.
CoNLL adheres to the ACL anonymity policy, as described in the EMNLP 2022 Call for Papers. Briefly, non-anonymized manuscripts submitted to CoNLL cannot be posted to preprint websites such as arXiv or advertised on social media after May 30th, 2022.
Multiple submission policy
CoNLL 2022 will not accept papers that are currently under submission, or that will be submitted to other meetings or publications, including EMNLP. Papers submitted elsewhere as well as papers that overlap significantly in content or results with papers that will be (or have been) published elsewhere will be rejected. Authors submitting more than one paper to CoNLL 2022 must ensure that the submissions do not overlap significantly (>25%) with each other in content or results.
CoNLL 2022 has the same policy as EMNLP 2022 regarding ARR submissions. This means that CoNLL 2022 will also accept submissions of ARR-reviewed papers, provided that the ARR reviews and meta-reviews are available by the ARR commitment deadline. We follow the EMNLP policy for papers that were previously submitted to ARR, or significantly overlap (>25%) with such submissions.
- Anonymity period begins: May 30th, 2022
- Submission deadline for START direct submissions: Thursday June 30th, 2022
- Commitment deadline for ARR papers: August 1st, 2022
- Notification of acceptance: Mid-September, 2022
- Camera ready papers due: October 15th, 2022
- Conference: December 7th, 8th, 2022
All deadlines are at 11:59pm UTC-12h ("anywhere on earth").